When planning your move, the use of moving services is an important consideration. And there are several factors to consider. Summer time is the busiest time of the year for people moving homes. And the beginning and end of each month are traditionally busier than mid-month, regardless of the season. So if you are planning to move during one of those times, plan well in advance so the schedule of your moving services (professional movers, truck rentals and moving storage) will fit into yours. Here are some factors to help you decide between doing it yourself and utilizing some hired guns.
To Use Moving Services or Not
Reputable, professional movers are the way to go for most. It will cost you more than doing it yourself, but look for movers that have partnerships with storage companies since they may offer discounts for these services.
If you’re currently in a pretty small place, such as a studio apartment, you’re much less likely to need professional movers. Instead, truck rental and moving storage may be the only services you need to get the job done.
Many heavy pieces of furniture should point you toward using a moving company.
If you’ve lived in your current location for more than three years, you’re more likely to have accumulated more boxes and might require movers and moving storage.
Moving Service Factors
Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends are the hardest and most expensive times to rent moving services. You typically need to book these months in advance. But these times are also popular for moving storage, which means special deals may be offered.
Weekends are more difficult to book moving services than weekdays.
Weekdays are also often a better option in case you need to reach other involved businesses during their business hours. Just in case, look for moving storage with an onsite manager and weekend office hours — this will help with questions and initial storage space set up.
The middle weeks of the month are easier to reserve than the first and last weeks.
Reserve your moving truck, moving company and moving storage ahead of time. The best moving services fill up quickly, so you’ll want to make sure to reserve yours early.
Finding the Best Moving Services
- Get referrals from local real estate agents and friends who have moved recently.
- Research and read testimonials and reviews.
- Look for locations or providers that take the time to understand your individual situation and provide the attention, service and savings you deserve.
- Price is important. Look for promotions and offers such as the CubeSmart Lowest Price Guarantee to ensure you are getting the best deal available.
- Check to see if the provider has national partnerships with other moving service companies — this is often reputation endorsement.
- Look for added benefits such as online bill pay, superior customer service, toll-free call centers, convenient access, etc.
- Access to the proper packing materials. You’ll want to pick up the basics before you begin packing:
- Moving boxes
- Packing tape
- Bubble wrap
- Packing peanuts
- Packing labels
Latest posts by The Storage Queens (see all)
- Finding an Apartment in D.C: Average Rent & D.C Neighborhoods to Consider - December 6, 2018
- How to Find an Apartment in NYC: Tips & Average Rents - December 6, 2018
- How to Clean Winter Sports Gear - November 27, 2018