Both big and small screens have had their share of RVs in a wide range of movies and TV shows. Viewers have gotten to see everything from plush, top-of-the-line motorhomes to beat-up RVs that need to end up in the junkyard (and many of them do, by the end). If you’re an RV owner, the beat-up ones at least serve as a good reminder of what yours can become if you don’t take care of it with indoor RV storage and regular maintenance between trips.
1. The Walking Dead: Dale’s 1977 Winnebago Chieftain plays a huge role in this series. When the zombie invasion strikes Atlanta, this RV suddenly becomes a safe haven that protects the characters from zombies, stores their supplies, and serves as a lookout point. Much of the story for the first two seasons focuses around the RV, as it is used time and again to rescue people and plow down zombies. The RV sadly was destroyed in a fire during the finale of season 2, along with Jimmy when the zombies made it into the RV.
2. The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert: You can’t leave this movie off a list because the RV itself (actually a converted bus) is right in the title. The RV named “Priscilla, Queen of the Desert,” brings three friends and performers across the desert from Sydney to Alice Springs. The RV breaks down during the journey and gets a bit of a makeover, but it eventually manages to arrive safely in Alice Springs.
3. Breaking Bad: Walter White started his meth enterprise right there in an RV, so this one has a good reason to be famous. When you’re doing something illegal, it’s a good idea to be able to do it somewhere that can be moved around and used in off-the-grid locations. Walt and Jesse get plenty of use out of the RV, a 1986 Fleetwood Bounder, and, of course, they have all sorts of misadventures as well. Unfortunately, the DEA eventually catches on to what they’re doing, and the RV meets its demise during season 3 of the show.
4. Justified: This lesser-known crime drama on FX features a recurring side character, Wynn Duffy, who lives and works in a fairly plush RV. Given that Duffy has been in trouble with the law in quite a few ways, it’s a good thing that he can just pick up and go wherever he needs to be.
Photo: EuroCar Guy
5. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation: Who can forget Cousin Eddie’s rusty, beat up RV from this classic holiday movie? Eddie and his family are actually living in the RV, and they come to the Griswold house for some Christmas cheer, and all sorts of mishaps as well! The RV itself has clearly seen better days. Maybe if the previous owner had used indoor RV storage, it wouldn’t have ended up with more rust than anything else.
SOURCES/PHOTOS: http://www.screenjunkies.com/general/10-rvs-from-film-and-tv-that-were-used-for-more-than-cooking-meth/, http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/25/arts/television/justified-final-season-fx-jere-burns-damon-herriman-mykelti-williamson.html?_r=0, http://movieboozer.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/topshow.jpg