While many people on the east coast may not believe it, spring and summer are just around the corner, which means many of our customers will be preparing to get their boats and RVs out of storage. At many of our storage locations, you are likely to see a few RVs, campers, boats and other recreational vehicles. We want to make sure you’re ready to de-winterize your vehicle, and have done some research on helpful tips to make this annual process a little easier.
Prep for your RV
A spring-prep check begins before the engine is even started. RVBasics.com has some great advice for preparing an RV for the spring getaways. A few highlights include:
- Examine the exterior, looking for any cracks and separation, and “look inside for stains on the ceiling, sure signs of roof leaks. Look beneath the coach and/or or tow vehicle for signs of fuel or other fluid leaks.”
- Give the RV a good wash, inside and outside, air out the interior, and check fluids and connections.
- Check the gas tanks, appliances, freshwater storage, generators, tires, batteries and emergency kits.
Prep for your Boat
For boat owners anxiously waiting the first spring fishing trip or wake boarding adventure, we found some great recommendations on de-winterizing your boat at Powerboat.About.com. Some of the tips include:
- “Have Your Manufacturer’s Manual Handy.” Seems like a simple thing, but as the article suggests, it will provide you with the proper way to “replace fluids and parts properly.”
- Inspect the canvas, vinyl, hull and trailer, test the electronics, and check your safety equipment
- Give your boat a good cleaning so that you don’t have to worry about the dust and debris when you are finally out on the water.
Check out a complete spring-prep check list at Boatsafe.com.
[i] Freund, Ken, “Get Your RV Ready for Spring,” RVBasics, http://rvbasics.com/techtips/RV-ready-for-spring.html
[ii] Watson, Ericka, “De-Winterize Your Boat,” About.com Guide, http://powerboat.about.com/od/maintenanceandrepair/tp/SpringBoatPrep.htm
Latest posts by CubeSmart (see all)
- 7 Ways to Thank Friends for Moving Help - July 19, 2018
- 8 Organization Tips for Your Desk - January 4, 2015
- Inspiration for Cleaning and Organizing the Refrigerator - November 14, 2014