Are you ready for National DIY Day? This fun holiday, which celebrates creativity, crafts, and do-it-yourself projects of all sorts, will take place on April 2nd. It’s a great excuse to try out some new DIY projects that you’ve been putting off. Whether you have a list of great ideas saved on Pinterest or a bunch of things in storage you’ve been meaning to give new life to, National DIY Day is the perfect time to create something exciting and maybe even learn a new skill. Check out these suggestions for ways to celebrate DIY Day.
Do-it-yourself projects are one of the best ways to make DIY Day a hit. Whether you want to do crafts to create some DIY home décor, to come up with unique gifts for your loved ones, or simply for the fun of being creative, there are plenty of ways to get crafty on this national holiday. Here are some fun DIY crafts you might consider trying:
- Spray paint: A coat of spray paint can turn basic objects into works of art. Consider using a metallic spray paint to turn old glass jars into beautiful pencil cups, vases, and more.
- Washi tape: A few rolls of washi tape offer endless possibilities when it comes to crafting. You can make colorful labels for your pantry, hang photos, or even create custom designs on your walls.
- Wine corks: Hang on to your old wine corks and use them to create fun items. Simply glue them together to create a cool cork board, a lovely trivet, or a decorative item (like arranging them in the shape of a letter).
- Mugs: Porcelain mugs are practical items you can use or give as gifts, especially when you customize them with your own Sharpie designs. After drawing on the mug, put it in a 350-degree oven for 30 minutes to set it permanently.
Image via Bigstock
Upgrade Your Home
DIY Day isn’t just about crafts; you can use this day to tackle any kind of creative project. One thing many homeowners may be putting off is an upgrade to their home. In addition to making the space more attractive, you could even boost your home’s value with one of these do-it-yourself projects.
If there’s something on your to-do list, use National DIY Day as the reason to finally get to that project you’ve had in mind. For those who could use a few easy suggestions, check out this list of DIY ideas:
- Kitchen backsplash: Adding a new kitchen backsplash is one of the easiest ways to get a modern, upgraded look for your home. Using subway tiles for the backsplash is trending right now, but it’s so simple and sleek that it’s sure to be timeless.
- Cabinet hardware: Another easy kitchen project to tackle is switching out your cabinet hardware. It’s easy and affordable but it gives you kitchen a fresh, modern look.
- Light fixtures: Like cabinet hardware, light fixtures are easy to swap out and make a big impression.
- Closet organizer: A messy closet is something that slows you down every day, especially if you have a small closet. Install a closet organizer system and enjoy having all your clothes, shoes, and accessories neatly stored and ready to wear.
- Curb appeal: Don’t forget about the outside of your house, too. Consider painting the front door with a bold color or adding carriage house fixtures to the garage door.
Give Old Furniture New Life
Do you have some old furniture that could use an upgrade? Raid your basement, your garage, or your storage unit to find a piece that’s been put away, or pick out something from another room in the house that could use a fresh new look. DIY Day is a great excuse to give these old pieces of furniture another chance. Here are some DIY ideas to get you started:
- Paint: Maybe you want that brown wooden coffee table to have a stylish and sleek black finish. Or perhaps an old metal stool would suddenly look modern and trendy after being painted with a bold, bright color. Just one can of paint can turn your furniture into something totally transformed.
- Stain: Wooden furniture is a popular choice for makeovers, but it doesn’t have to involve painting over that beautiful grain. Instead, consider adding a wood stain that will make the wood look richer than ever.
- Accessorize: You can make your DIY project even easier by simply adding a new accessory to your furniture. A great example is switching out the generic knobs on a dresser for something colorful or unique. You can even mix and match different knobs on the drawers for a quirky, eclectic look.
Don’t be afraid to try something new on National DIY Day. From drinks and cocktails to DIY small space storage, there are so many fun and stylish projects you can complete when you use these DIY tips and ideas. What’s more, you may gain some new skills — and you’ll even have a better-looking home or some fun gift items to show for it.
Latest posts by The Storage Queens (see all)
- Travel Packing Guide: Winter Ski Trip - January 16, 2020
- 2019 Toys for Tots: Drop-Off Locations at Select CubeSmart Facilities - November 6, 2019
- Weekly Insider - November 6, 2019