Hard decisions will need to be made like what to do with that sweater you haven't worn in four years, but fashionistas will be delighted with these space maximizing hacks for clothing collections and accessories. After all you have to make room for next season’s must haves! We offered smart storage hacks for shoeholics in a previous blog post, but what about the rest of the closet? All it takes is figuring out how to creatively use the unused space that may be lurking in nooks and on walls.
First thing you need to do is "cull the herd". This is often the hardest part, but absolutely necessary. There are many tips out there on how to go through your closet and decide what is really worth keeping. The Organizing Junkie provides some motivating tips to help get you through the process resulting in a lighter closet, roomier drawers, and freedom from clutter. The following storage hacks will help you get the most space possible out of your tiny closet without doing a renovation.
- Don't waste hanger space or drawer space on tank tops. Install a towel holder with arms that can be positioned flush with the wall and hang the tank tops by the straps. Ties, scarves, and belts would also do well with this closet storage solution.
- If your closet has a small opening and there is a nook of hidden space between your hanging clothes and the front wall of the closet, consider adding storage space with a handled shelf on wheels to fill it and easily access it.
Image via Smile Like you Mean It
- Another way to use that same dead space in a closet is to add rods to increase hanger space in the closet.
Image via Buzzfeed
- Double up hanger space by adding a second rod below the top one.
For a flexible and inexpensive solution, add a hanging rod like this one from the Container Store.
- Shelves are great, but clothes can become a jumbled mess when the sweater you want is in the middle of the pile and you have to pull it out. Inevitably the pile will get knocked over or knock over the pile next to it. Adding shelf dividers allow you to stack more items in a pile, not to mention help you keep your sanity and enjoy your organized closet longer.
Image via Architecture Design
- Stack hangers with soda can pull tabs to offset hangers and save space.
Image via Wallpeg Store
- Don't forget to use the space provided on the inside of the door. Over door solutions such as hanging baskets and installing rods on the inside of the door make use of an often unused surface. Try one of these ideas:
Images via Wayfair, Buzzfeed